While my fingers are sashaying across the keyboard, my tastebuds are taking in the euphoria of liquid heirloom chocolate infused with fragrant spices, tonifying superherbs, and satisfying fat. It’s a hit everywhere I go as I like to share what’s great. Wanna know how to whip up this elixir at home? Read on.
The beauty of the recipe is that it’s fully customizable (just as the Scrumptious Superfood Muffins). I intuitively know what my body needs on any given day, and I listen. This also means that I don’t measure. As a rule of thumb, though, know this: superfoods are potent. The amount that would cover your pinkie nail is plenty, especially is you’re just starting out. The key is to nourish your body on a long-term basis. Ideally daily, for life. But remember, listen to what you’re body is telling you. If something feels off, stay away from it. It’s all energy. Tap into that, and only that, which lights you up.
I’m blessed to have a well-stocked pantry to choose from but even if you like to keep things extremely curated, be sure everything is of the highest quality you can get. Don’t even bother buying something if it’s not organic or wildcrafted from suppliers you trust.
A note on sugar: I consciously focus on foods that are very low in natural sugars, i.e. I eat lots of vegetables, good fat, and very little grains. I also don’t actively sweeten my hot chocolate; sometimes I put a couple of goji berries but that’s it. If you’re used to a sweet taste you may want to play with sweeteners that keep your system sane, such as non-gmo xylitol, erythritol, monk fruit, or stevia. Honey has many nutrients and works great for some people but due to its natural sugars it can be a burden on your gut. See what works for you.
Now on to the recipe, which in my eyes is more of an inspirational guideline than a set-in-stone recipe. Feel free to customize to your heart’s delight!
Makes two 8-oz cups
~ Everything organic or wildcrafted ~
- 1-2 tablespoon of heirloom cacao powder (good source of antioxidants, magnesium and iron)
- 1-2 teaspoons chia seeds (complete protein, highest plant source of omega-3, and nice fiber which lubricates the gut beautifully to keep things flowing as they’re supposed to)
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts aka shelled hemp seeds (omegas & plant-based protein)
- 1/4 teaspoon of superherbs such as he shou wu (great rejuvenator), astragalus (aura protector), ashwagandha (Ayurvedic antioxidant), triphala (supports digestion)
- 1/4 teaspoon of medicinal mushrooms such as reishi and/or chaga (great immune support)
- Dashes of delightful spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, clove, allspice, fennel, vanilla, nutmeg, cayenne, turmeric…
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (healthy fat is crucial for optimal brain function)
- Small piece of cacao butter (again, good fat)
- Pinch of sea salt (great source of minerals)
- Couple goji berries (the beta-carotene's rendered more bio-available when combined with moderate heat, fat, and blending)
- Optional: add sweetener of choice
Put dry ingredients in a high-speed blender. Add hot water. Blend (about 15-60 seconds, depending on how frothy you like it). Enjoy!
Share your concoctions with me on social with #FlyHighRootDeep #GratitudeFood.